Read Write Inc. Phonics (R.W.I.)
At Woodingdean Primary School we use the Read Write Inc (RWI) programme to get children off to a flying start with their Literacy. RWI is a method of learning centred round letter sounds and phonics and we use it to aid children in their reading and writing.
Reading opens the door to learning. A child who reads a lot will become a good reader. A good reader will be able to read more challenging material. A child who reads challenging material is a child who will learn. The more a child learns, the more he or she will want to find out.
Using RWI, the children learn to read effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into comprehending what they read. It also allows them to spell effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into composing what they write.
When using RWI to read the children will:
- learn that sounds are represented by written letters
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- learn how to blend sounds
- learn to read words using Fred Talk
- read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out
- show that they comprehend the stories by answering questions
So that you are able to support your child's learning at home, please take some time to explore the links below to see videos and examples of how RWI is taught.
Our Read Write Inc Lead Teacher in school is Mrs Stillwell. If you have any queries or would like to discuss our phonics programme further, please do not hesitate to contact her or your child's class teacher.